Python won't run

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Feb 20 21:28:18 EST 2009

In article
<37c2b0840902201751q5ac4b607n14c90ee0b51c1c00 at mail.gmail.com>,
 kevin hayes <kevinosky at gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed it...with the package that came with python 2.6. When I had 2.5
> I was using it(idle) successfully, until I ran a few programs that I got off
> the web.  Then, Idle wouldn't open (it just bounced in the dock and then
> disappeared).  So I tried installing 2.6 and the same thing happened.

There may be some clues in the system.log as to why IDLE is not
launching.  Launch /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and under its
File menu select Open System Log.  Now try to launch IDLE again by
double-clicking on its icon and see if any suspicious messages show up
in the log.  You could also try moving any IDLE preferences files out of
the way temporarily and see if that helps.  From a Terminal window, type:
    cd $HOME
    mv .idlerc .idlerc-disabled
then try launching IDLE again.

--