cx_oracle -- how to insert "&"

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Fri Feb 20 20:00:45 EST 2009

On Feb 21, 3:46 am, Allen <ygua... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using Python with cx_oracle to load an excel spreadsheet into an
> Oracle table. There are lots of text on the spreadsheet that have "&"
> in them which I want to keep in the table. But inserting those text
> will fail.

"Will fail" (future tense) or have failed (past tense)??

> Is there a work around for this? I can filter out the
> failed insert statements and in SQLPLUS set define off  to run those
> statements, but it would be nice to insert "&" directly in PYTHON.

We don't have crystal balls. More information please:

1. How are you digging the data out of the spreadsheet?

2. What does print repr(text_on_the_spreadsheet) show for the failing
cases?

3. Show us your code for inserting.

4. What is the failure message?

5. What does "set define off" do for you in SQLPLUS?