can multi-core improve single funciton?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid
Fri Feb 20 17:27:19 EST 2009

On 2009-02-20, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Do the crunchy bits of scipy/numpy, scientific python, vtk and
>> other compute-intensive libraries tend to release the GIL
>> while they're busy "computing"?
>
> Often. Not as often as they could, sometimes.

On one hand, the upshot of that is that by finding an
appropriate library module you might gain some of the same
benefits as removing the GIL.

On the other hand, that doesn't help if you're doing something
original enough that nobody has written a library to handle
large chunks of it.

And on the grasping hand, I find that most of us vastly
overestimate the originality of what we're doing.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! This is a NO-FRILLS
                                  at               flight -- hold th' CANADIAN