To unicode or not to unicode

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Feb 20 15:05:04 EST 2009

MRAB wrote:
> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>> * Ron Garret (Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:57:13 -0800)
>>> I'm writing a little wiki that I call µWiki.  That's a lowercase
>>> Greek mu at the beginning (it's pronounced micro-wiki).
>>
>> No, it's not. I suggest you start your Unicode adventure by
>> configuring your newsreader.
>>
> It looked like mu to me, but you're correct: it's "MICRO SIGN", not
> "GREEK SMALL LETTER MU".

I don't think that was the complaint. Instead, the complaint was
that the OP's original message did not have a Content-type header,
and that it was thus impossible to tell what the byte in front of
"Wiki" meant. To properly post either MICRO SIGN or GREEK SMALL LETTER
MU in a usenet or email message, you really must use MIME. (As both
your article and Thorsten's did, by choosing UTF-8)

Regards,
Martin

P.S. The difference between MICRO SIGN and GREEK SMALL LETTER MU
is nit-picking, IMO:

py> unicodedata.name(unicodedata.normalize("NFKC", u"\N{MICRO SIGN}"))
'GREEK SMALL LETTER MU'