Will multithreading make python less popular?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 20 01:57:07 EST 2009

Steve Holden wrote:

>> It's only an error if it gets in the way. It's the experience of a lot
>> of programmers that it doesn't, so it's not an error.
>>
> And it's not a feature of the language, rather of one or two
> implementations. Neither JPython not IronPython use a GIL to the best of
> my knowledge, so you are still quite at liberty to use them.

I found this interesting benchmark on the relative speeds of CPython 2.3,
IronPython 0.1 and Jython 2.1. It's from six years ago, so not exactly
reporting on the state of the art, but it suggests to me that IronPython is
faster at the fundamentals but much slower at some things.

http://www.python.org/~jeremy/weblog/031209a.html

--
Steven