Strange array.array performance

Maxim Khitrov mkhitrov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 22:31:05 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I may have a case where one thread is still sending data, while
>> another tries to close the connection, or two threads trying to close
>> the connection at the same time. In both cases, I need some parts of
>> the code to be atomic to prevent errors.
>
> That does not sound like the right approach, then. Matlab engine is
> not thread safe in that sense:
>
> http://www.mathworks.fr/support/solutions/data/1-YR98I.html?product=ML&solution=1-YR98I
>
> cheers,
>
> David

"One option is to use MUTEXes around every call into the MATLAB
Engine" - that's exactly what I'm doing. Some setup work, like
creating mxArrays is done without a lock, but all eng* calls are
mutually exclusive. I've been doing a lot of my own testing, and so
far have seen no problems with this approach.

- Max