Fwd: IDLE error on 3.0.1

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Feb 19 22:18:18 EST 2009

In article <3F795AB3-9BA5-4833-971C-9A442CEF7D7F at talktalk.net>,
 John Forse <johnforse at talktalk.net> wrote:
> > Occaisionally, if I mistype in python shell or try to copy & paste a
> > line there, I get a permanent hang with the error below. It isn't
> > corrected by quitting IDLE, but is put right with a restart.  I am
> > running 3.0.1 on Mac 10.5.6. Is this a bug, as it never happened on
> > the same system with 2.5 &2.6.1 ?
> > Is there another way to prevent this?
> > Regards
> > John Forse
> >
> > IDLE cant bind TCP/IP port 8833 which is necessary to communicate
> > with it's python execution server. Either no networking is installed
> > on this computer or another process(another IDLE?) is using the
> > port. Run IDLE with the -n command line switch to start without a
> > sub-process and refer to help/IDLE Help 'Running without a sub-
> > process' for further details
> >
> PS I AM connected to the network at the time and Help/Idle help is
> greyed-out on my IDLE. I've tried entering -n to IDLE on the initial
> blank window, but it seems to make no difference to the problem. I
> don't understand what is
> happening.--------------------------------------------------------------------

The error message means that there is another IDLE still running so I
assume you get this when you try to launch IDLE again after the first
one hangs?  If the first IDLE is hung, there should be either an IDLE or
Python icon in your dock and, if IDLE is not responding to menu items or
type-ins, you should be able to cause it to quit by pressing Option
while clicking on the icon in the dock and selecting Force Quit.

It would be very helpful if you could outline the steps to reproduce
this (in particular, how you launch IDLE) and open an issue on the
Python bug tracker: http://bugs.python.org/

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org