Will multithreading make python less popular?

Paul Rubin http
Thu Feb 19 15:18:04 EST 2009

sturlamolden <sturlamolden at yahoo.no> writes:
> Yes, the GIL prevents Python threads from being used in a certain way.
> But do you really need to use threads like that? Or do you just think
> you do?

How old is your computer, why did you buy it, and is it the first one
you ever owned?

For most of us, I suspect, it is not our first one, and we bought it
to get a processing speedup relative to the previous one.  If such
speedups were useless or unimportant, we would not have blown our hard
earned cash replacing perfectly good older hardware, so we have to
accept the concept that speed matters and ignore those platitudes that
say otherwise.

It used to be that new computers were faster than the old ones because
they ran at higher clock rates.  That was great, no software changes
at all were required to benefit from the higher speed.  Now, they get
the additional speed by having more cores.  That's better than nothing
but making use of it requires fixing the GIL.