Python/environment problem with char encoding/decoding

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Wed Feb 18 09:14:39 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Gabriel Rossetti <
gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I originally posted this on the Twisted mailing list, but now it seams to
> be  a more general python/environment problem. If I run the attached example
> in Eclipse, it works, if I run it from a terminal, it doesn't, I get :
>
> $ python xml_parser_test.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "xml_parser_test.py", line 30, in <module>
>   res = rawXmlToElement("<t>reçu</t>")
>  File "xml_parser_test.py", line 21, in __call__
>   tmp.addRawXml(s)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/words/xish/domish.py", line
> 538, in addRawXml
>   self.children.append(SerializedXML(rawxmlstring))
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 5:
> ordinal not in range(128)
>
> Does anyone understand why it doesn't work outside of Eclipse? My OS is
> Linux (Ubuntu 8.04).
>
> Thank you,
> Gabriel

It's an encoding problem. My guess is that, in eclipse, the default encoding
is UTF-8 or some other unicode-based encoding. In the console, it seems the
encoding defaults to ascii. When twisted attempts to turn your byte string
into a Unicode string, it sees a character that isn't in the encoding and
choke up. Try using a unicode string instead of a byte string.