_socket.so source?

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Tue Feb 17 18:47:16 EST 2009

mbarry schrieb:
> Hello,
>

> The socket module in Python uses _socket.so for most of its behavior.
> I want to modify the code that generates the _socket.so file.
> I need the source file and instructions on how to compile and build
> _socket.so for Windows.
> Can anyone point me to where I can find the source and/or
> documentation for compiling a python shared object on Windows?

You need the Python source tree (download the .tar.gz) and the correct
compiler in order to build a .dll / .pyd file on Windows. For Python 2.4
and 2.5 you need Visual Studio 2003 (VC7.1), for Python 2.6 and 3.0 you
have to install Visual Studio 2008 (VC9).

The code for the _socket extension is in the Modules/ subdirectory of
the source tree.

Christian