Is there something easier than ORM?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Feb 17 08:24:43 EST 2009

一首诗 schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently I am studying some python ORM libraries, such as sqlalchemy.
>
> These are very powerful technologies to handle database.  But I think
> my project are not complicated to enough to benefit from a complete
> ORM system.
>
> What I really want, is some easy ways to load data from database, and
> change rows of data to list of named tuple, then I could send these
> data to my client application.
>
> I don't think I want these subtle behavior such as lazy load, auto
> update, ect. in ORM.
>
> So is there some libraries like that?
>
> Or is there some tools that could generate code from database scheme
> as I want?

Sqlalchemy. You don't need to use the ORM-layer, and you can use
reflection to create schema-objects like tables.

Then you can use that to create SQL-queries simple & powerful, whilst
being DB-agnostic and having a road to start using the ORM if you
discover it is useful for you.

To be honest: if you can control the schema, I'd still go for an orm. I
for example use elixir. It makes the easy things *really* easy, and the
complicated ones ar still possible.

Diez