Found a very nice, small, cross-platform GUI toolkit for Python.

laplacian42 at gmail.com laplacian42 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 13:43:12 EST 2009

On Feb 16, 2:34 am, Python Nutter <pythonnut... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Had a look and it is still under my radar unfortunately because of
> TkInter. OceanGUI

Note: spelling is "OcempGUI". Also, since google broke some of the
links,
here's that main link again:

http://ocemp.sourceforge.net/gui.html

> has a lot of large decencies (Pygame, SDL libraries,
> PyObjC, etc.) to install on my system

Well, to be fair, SDL is pretty commonly-used software and they offer
binary downloads for Mac OS X and MS Windows. Pygame seems to provide
the same. So, installation should be a breeze.

> to just to get a GUI thats no
> better loking than TkInter which comes pre-installed (no dependencies)
> on most every major platform.

Well, of course, there *is* a dependency: you need Tcl/Tk installed.

> If I was writing a game I might be interested, but I'd want to do some
> serious skinning of that GUI to make it look better.

I suppose so, but the point of my post was that by default it makes
quite a nice GUI toolkit.

> For applications installing the full wxWidgets or Qt toolkits would be
> less disk space and dependcies than OceanGUI

What? Qt and wX are *huge* compared to OcempGUI.

> and performance would
> probably be higher.

Probably, but wX and Qt are written in C++. OcempGUI is pure Python,
which would make it easier for the Python community to help extend,
optimize, and maintain.

> TkInter also has many skins/themes you can add
> that makes it rather, although not 100% native looking on target
> systems.

OcempGUI can also be "themed" as well. Though I'm not sure how much is
out there yet.