Will multithreading make python less popular?

Tim Rowe digitig at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 07:50:42 EST 2009

2009/2/16  <rushenaly at gmail.com>:

> I want to learn python + c++ or java because of the desire of having
> python's felxibility and easiness and c++ or java's stability and
> speed and power together.

Yes, that's what I mean by different tradeoffs. Python is much easier
to program in than C++ or Java (in my experience, at least), but C++
and Java scale better and at least have the potential to be faster.
I'm not convinced that library support is significantly better for C++
or Java -- Python's libraries seem pretty rich to me. And that extra
speed might not be needed as often as you think. My postgrad
dissertation involved heavy number-crunching on large data sets, and
in my proposal I said I'd switch from Python to C++ when Python got
too slow. In fact, Python never did get too slow (I didn't even have
to switch to numpy), and plugging together ad-hoc modules, defined in
an XML script, was a dream in Python when I'd probably still be coding
it today in C++. Horses for courses. It's almost always wrong to say
that language A is better than language B; the most you can say is
that language A is better than language B for some specific task.

--
Tim Rowe