Function name limit in Python ?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Feb 14 22:34:04 EST 2009

Linuxguy123 wrote:

> Excuse my ignorance, but is there a limit to the size of function names
> in Python ?
>
> I named a function getSynclientVersion() and I got an error when I
> called it.

No no, don't tell us what error you got! I love guessing games. I'm guessing
you got either a SyntaxError or a NameError.

> I renamed the same function to getSCVersion() and it called
> fine.

>>> def python_allows_really_long_function_names_with_no_problem():
...     print "hello world"
>>> python_allows_really_long_function_names_with_no_problem()
hello world

>>> ptyhon_allows_really_long_function_names_with_no_problem()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
NameError: name 'ptyhon_allows_really_long_function_names_with_no_problem'
is not defined

Can you spot the difference? More importantly, can you see how the error
message actually tells you what the error is?

--
Steven