encrypting lines from file with md5 module doesn't work?

Canned user at domain.invalid
Sat Feb 14 11:32:03 EST 2009

MRAB schreef:
> Canned wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I need some help with my script. I hope someone can show me the right
>> direction or at least explain to me what did I wrong?
>>
>> I write a small script that read lines from plain text file and encrypt
>> each lines using md5 module. I have a small word list that contain 2000+
>> words, 1 word/line. Using the code below, I can save the output to
>> another file to use it with john the ripper (http://www.openwall.com).
>>
> [snip]
> MD5 is a type of checksum, not a method of encryption.

I found this from google: http://tinyurl.com/4ow2q4
Using that, I changed my script and it seems that it works well. John
recognize it as md5.

It also raise another question. John can crack my password from
/etc/shadow in less than a second, but if I write it down in a file and
using the code below to encrypt the password, john would took really
long time to crack the password.

I've tried several different password using passwd command and my code
to generate md5 hash, but it seems that john really having trouble with
hashes generated with my code as the hashes generated with passwd being
cracked in a matter of second.
Is there something wrong with the code? Am I missing something?

-----------------code-------------------------
#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
import md5encrypt  # from http://tinyurl.com/4ow2q4

f = open(sys.argv[1])

for line in f:
        if line[-1:] == '\n':
                text = line[:-1]
        print text + ':' + md5encrypt.md5crypt(text,
md5encrypt.generate_salt(5))

f.close()

---------------password.txt--------------------
000000
00000000
111111
11111111
121212
123123

000000:$1$<rVpM$5cYcnJv6qY3AXKiJXKwh4/
00000000:$1$vg^@W$EqAu1mLK6UXogFgkMuf3i1
111111:$1$TVq;y$87mqQPcKXlnj6Ap.1rFgH0
11111111:$1$.iPHo$dLNmzzv5BXBFTn8FqCmog.
121212:$1$`]iS!$L3uSDmn17PGhZ.k275WZj0
123123:$1$}g5"m$OwzfVzg0CMEhNX271K.yp0