Spam

Stephen Hansen apt.shansen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 12:09:22 EST 2009

>   There seems to be lot of spam coming in this newsgroup.
>   Is it possible to have some mechanism similar to say - slashdot -
> wherein mails can be moderated by any of the usual users?
>   This is required only for people who is posting for the first time
> (or people who has been rated spam before). Second post onwards, no
> moderation required.
>    Just wondering.

C.P.L is an unmoderated newsgroup: so there's no content controls on
posts. I don't think that's possible to change. But I haven't gotten
directly near a newsgroup-as-a-newsgroup in eons, so I may be wrong.

If you subscribe to C.P.L as a mailing list instead of a newsgroup, I
believe most of the spam gets filtered out at the mailing list<->news
group gateway by the Python.org spam filters... At least no spam in my
Gmail spam folder appears to be flagged from this group(at a very
brief glance) so they appear to be doing quite well.