Who's on First, IDLE or pythonWin? Dialog Problem?

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 16:33:26 EST 2009

On Feb 11, 3:27 pm, "W. eWatson" <notval... at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
> > W. eWatson wrote:

> >> Not quite. I take down IDLE when I run pyWin, and vice versa.
>
> > The two separate loops being PyWin (which uses MFC) and your program
> > (which uses Tkinter). You just can't mix GUIs in the same process like
> > that, sorry.
>
> > regards
> >  Stedve
>
> I have no idea what MFC is or how it relates to Tkinter. Neither IDLE and
> pyWin are being run together.
>
> Assume neither is running.
> a. run IDLE, and execute program
> b. close IDLE script, and interactive window. Kill py program
> result: boom
> c. run pyWin and execute program
> d. do same as b for pyWin
> resulst: all OK
> e. repeat a and b.
> Result: boom
>
> Repeat the above and you get the same results.
>
> I had running IDLE successfully w/o using Pywin, and IDLE goofed, as above.
> I switched to it to see if it work there. It did. I double clicked on the py
> file, and it worked fine. Can you explain this?
>
> --
>                                 W. eWatson
>
>               (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
>                Obz Site:  39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
>
>                      Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

What Steve (and I) are saying is that IDLE has it's own mainloop and
your program has a mainloop too as it sounds like it is running a
Tkinter app. Sometimes when you run a Tk app from another Tk app, the
two mainloops clash and have weird issue like this one.

If you just double-click it or run it from the command line, you only
have one mainloop (i.e. the one that's part of your app). Thus, no
conflicts.

Mike