Who's on First, IDLE or pythonWin? Dialog Problem?

W. eWatson notvalid2 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 11 14:38:04 EST 2009

Mike Driscoll wrote:
> On Feb 11, 10:28 am, "W. eWatson" <notval... at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> My program in IDLE bombed with:
>> ==============
>> Exception in Tkinter callback
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1403, in __call__
>>      return self.func(*args)
>>    File
>> "C:\Sandia_Meteors\New_Sentinel_Development\Sentuser_Utilities_Related\sentuser\sentuserNC25-Dev4.py",
>> line 552, in OperationalSettings
>>      dialog = OperationalSettingsDialog( self.master, set_loc_dict )
>>    File
>> "C:\Sandia_Meteors\New_Sentinel_Development\Sentuser_Utilities_Related\sentuser\sentuserNC25-Dev4.py",
>> line 81, in __init__
>>      tkSimpleDialog.Dialog.__init__(self, parent)
>>    File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\tkSimpleDialog.py", line 69, in __init__
>>      self.wait_visibility() # window needs to be visible for the grab
>>    File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 415, in wait_visibility
>>      self.tk.call('tkwait', 'visibility', window._w)
>> TclError: window ".34672232" was deleted before its visibility changed
>> ===============
>> It runs fine in pythonWin performing the same entry operation. Open a menu,
>>   select an item to open a dialog, select a select button in the dialog,
>> press OK to leave the dialog. Boom, as above.
>>
>> (This does not mean pythonWin doesn't have problems of its own. ) If I just
>> execute the code (double click on the py file, the console shows no
>> problems. IDLE is unhappy.
>>
>> Another side to this is that I use WinMerge to find differences between my
>> last saved copy and the current copy. I found the current copy had two lines
>> where a abc.get() was changed to abc.get. This was undoubtedly from briefly
>> using the pyWin editor, when I mis-hit some keys. Yet pyWin had no trouble
>> executing the program. My guess is that while briefly editing there, I hit
>> some odd combination of keys that produced, perhaps, an invisible character
>> that pyWin ignores.
>>
>> Note the 34672232 window is a dialog that I closed by pressing OK. I would
>> again guess, that, if there is a problem, it occurs in the code that
>> destroys the dialog.

> You don't really say what your code does or if it uses a GUI toolkit
> and if so, which one. But my guess is that you are using some kind of
> GUI and its GUI and IDLE's are clashing somehow. I see this sort of
> thing with some of my wxPython programs from time to time, although
> IDLE usually just crashes with no error message.
>
> I would recommend using the command line or something that can open it
> in a completely separate process, such as Wingware's IDE.
>
> Mike
Tkinter. Isn't just clicking on the py file enough to side step either of
the two? I did it and it worked fine. The code is for a GUI that has five or
  so menus on the main window bar, and manipulates video that is downloaded
to it from a video camera. The problem occurs in a dialog in which a user
enters configuration values, like the time to start/stop the camera. As soon
as I press OK on the dialog the program dies as above. It wasn't doing that
at all for days despite some heavy editing. A WinMerge shows its quite
faithful to it's last working predecessor. That's how I found the get problem.

--
                                W. eWatson

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>