zlib interface semi-broken

Tue Feb 10 16:36:21 EST 2009

Travis wrote:
> The zlib interface does not indicate when you've hit the
 > end of a compressed stream....
> The underlying zlib functionality provides for this.
>
> With python's zlib, you have to read past the compressed data and into
> the uncompressed, which gets stored in Decompress.unused_data.
> ... [good explanation of why this is problematic] ...
> A simple way to fix this would be to add a finished attribute to the
> Decompress object.
Perhaps you could submit a patch with such a change?

> However, perhaps this would be a good time to discuss how this library
> works; it is somewhat awkward and perhaps there are other changes which
> would make it cleaner.
Well, it might be improvable, I haven't really looked.  I personally
would like it and bz2 to get closer to each other in interface, rather
than to spread out.  SO if you are really opening up a can of worms,
I vote for two cans.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org