what IDE is the best to write python?

rdmurray at bitdance.com rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Feb 10 13:20:02 EST 2009

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
> In article <mailman.8714.1233686338.3487.python-list at python.org>,
>  <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> >Quoth aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz):
> >> Then I have the problem of copying around the syntax highlighting
> >> configuration to every computer I use.
> >
> >Well, _that's_ easy to fix.  I have a little bash script called
> >'synchome' that uses rsync to update the home directory on any of the
> >remote machines on which I work.  I've had to install rsync on one or
> >two of the boxes, but that's a useful thing to do anyway.
> >
> >(Granted, I still have a couple bugs to work out, where I haven't taken
> >the time to conditionalize things properly for some of the more exotic
> >machine configurations, but hey, if I spend more time on those machines
> >I'll get around to it...)
>
> The need to conditionalize for different environments is the main reason
> I haven't bothered, combined with the need to spend time working out a
> decent color scheme I'm happy with.  I've been working this way (plain
> vi) for more than twenty years and I don't see much point fixing what
> ain't b0rken.

I did the conditionalization bit by bit, and there isn't much of it
since I can install my "standard environment" (zsh, screen, vim) on
almost all the boxes on which I work.

I was as you are on colorization until about three months ago.  Then I
figured out how to get 256 colors in my xterms and found 'desert.vim',
which works for me (nice gentle colors).  Now I'm a happy user of
colorization, and have even written a colorizor for a file whose syntax
I defined, that helps me avoid making stupid typos in said file, that
I used to make far too often.  In other words, the benefits tipped over
into outweighing the costs for me just recently...

--RDM