"Super()" confusion

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Feb 10 03:19:18 EST 2009

En Tue, 10 Feb 2009 03:26:20 -0200, Michele Simionato
<michele.simionato at gmail.com> escribió:
> On Feb 10, 4:29 am, "Gabriel Genellina"

>> > Honestly, I don't understand how this thing got so much out of
>> > control. If anyone starts an intelligent question or remark about
>> > super, this essay is thrown in no matter what. Anyone can explain why?
>>
>> Because for a very loooooong time (seven years, 2001-2008) super was
>> almost undocumented. The Library Reference -before release 2.6- only
>> had a
>> short paragraph, the online documentation referred (and still does) to
>> the
>> original essay by Guido introducing descriptors, which is inaccurate
>> and
>> outdated, and then the "... harmful" article was the only source of
>> information available.
>
> All right. This is way I made the effort of writing a comprehensive
> collection of all the tricky points about super
> I knew:
>
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=236275
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=236278
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=237121

You really should push them to be included in python.org, even in their
unfinished form. (At least a link in the wiki pages). Their visibility is
almost null now.
They're very clearly written - I wish you had published them years ago!

> Also see this thread on python-dev about the issue of super
> documentation: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/dev/673833

Apart from a few remarks in the first posts, there is little criticism of
your articles themselves. Looks like adding a section about Python 3 is
the only important pending issue - again, you really should publish the
series in a more prominent place.

--
Gabriel Genellina