"Super()" confusion

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 9 20:19:41 EST 2009

>>Hello. I've been scouring the web looking for something to clear up a
>>little confusion about the use of "super()" but haven't found anything
>>that really helps. Here's my simple example:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>"super(Child,self).__init__(filePath)
>>TypeError: super() argument 1 must be type, not classobj"
>>
>>What have I done wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Consider whether you really need to use super().
>
> http://fuhm.net/super-harmful/

Did you actually read that article, understood it, went through the
tons of responses from python-dev team members, including Guido, or
simply read its title, did absolutely no serious thinking about it and
go on throwing it around as if it would prove anything?

I can't believe this "super( ) is harmful" BS is still alive, it grew
to be a mature internet meme like the dancing hamster or star wars kid
:)

See (among tons of other writings):

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/thread.html

Cheers,