Calling into Python from a C thread

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Mon Feb 9 15:59:32 EST 2009

Philip Semanchuk wrote:
> Yes, that's accurate except for the word "forgot". To forget something
> one must first know it. =) I found the threading API documentation
> difficult to follow, but I suppose that what I'm doing is a little
> unusual so if it is not well-documented territory, that's what I get for
> wandering off the map.

I see. Apparently the threading and embedding docs don't cover your
case. The docs at
http://docs.python.org/c-api/init.html#thread-state-and-the-global-interpreter-lock
and http://docs.python.org/extending/embedding.html should explain how
and when to initialize Python threads. Please report a documentation bug
at http://bugs.python.org/.

Christian

PS: I know a great way to learn more about Python's internal threading
CAPI: fix your code, test it and attach a doc patch to your bug report.
*hint* :)