subprocess returncode windows

Andrew andrew.replogle at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 15:58:40 EST 2009

On Feb 5, 9:17 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> En Thu, 05 Feb 2009 17:34:29 -0200, Andrew <andrew.replo... at gmail.com>
> escribió:
>

> > On Dec 16 2008, 5:11 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
> > wrote:

> > I've tried this several ways now. It seems to be something specific
> > with python and asadmin.bat.
>
> > I've tried the following manually in the cmd.exe prompt:
>
> [examples showing %ERRORLEVEL% correctly set when running from the command
> line, but subprocess.call doesn't get it]
>
> > Notice how python never gets the correct returncode from asadmin.bat
> > but I can get the correct returncode from the shell every time. Can
> > anyone tell me why Python wouldn't be able to get the correct
> > returncode for asadmin?
>
> The last exit code set by a command *should* propagate as the exit code of
> the whole .bat, then as the exit code of the cmd.exe instance that runs
> it, and finally Python *should* receive that value. Some old Windows
> versions didn't behave like that, but AFAIK XP does the right thing here.
> Unless asadmin.bat is playing tricks with %ERRORLEVEL% or something.
> Can you post the contents of asadmin.bat?
>
> Without looking into it, I can think of a few alternatives:
>
> - rewrite asadmin.bat in Python, if feasible. Some scripts just check/set
> a few environment variables and execute some process at the end, and
> that's all; in this case it should be easy to emulate the same thing in
> Python.
>
> - try using another layer of your own, e.g., my_asadmin.bat:
>
> call asadmin.bat %*
> exit /b %ERRORLEVEL%
>
> - variation: write the exit code somewhere:
>
> call asadmin.bat %*
> echo %ERRORLEVEL% > asadmin.err
>
> and read asadmin.err from Python. (I've used something like this in a
> chain Win32 process --> 16 bits GUI application --> .bat script --> old
> DOS executable)
>
> --
> Gabriel Genellina

Thanks Gabriel,

Someone on the glassfish forums also pointed out the "exit /B
%ERRORLEVEL%" for the bottom of the batch file and that corrected the
issue for me. As well as not using that and removing "endlocal" which
I admit I have no clue what that does. Removing endlocal seems to
cause the batch script to pass out the correct returncode.

Thanks everyone for your input and assistance =]

Andrew