urllib2 performance on windows, usb connection

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Feb 6 02:48:41 EST 2009

> So does anyone know what the deal is with this?  Why is the same code so
> much slower on Windows?  Hope someone can tell me before a holy war
> erupts :-)

Only the holy war can give an answer here. It certainly has *nothing* to
do with Python; Python calls the operating system functions to read from
the network and write to the disk almost directly. So it must be the
operating system itself that slows it down.

To investigate further, you might drop the write operating, and measure
only source.read(). If that is slower, then, for some reason, the
network speed is bad on Windows. Maybe you have the network interfaces
misconfigured? Maybe you are using wireless on Windows, but cable on
Linux? Maybe you have some network filtering software running on
Windows? Maybe it's just that Windows sucks?-)

If the network read speed is fine, but writing slows down, I ask the
same questions. Perhaps you have some virus scanner installed that
filters all write operations? Maybe Windows sucks?

Regards,
Martin