[Web 2.0] Added-value of frameworks?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Wed Feb 4 17:01:14 EST 2009

Gilles Ganault a écrit :
> Hello
>
> If I wanted to build some social web site such as Facebook, what do
> frameworks like Django or TurboGears provide over writing a site from
> scratch using Python?

Quite a lot of abstractions and factorisation of the boilerplate code, a
known way to organize your application, and possibly a good integration
of the usual components (and wrt/ Django, a customizable yet fairly
usable OOTB admin interface). For simple to mediumly complex
applications, this can mean more than 80% of the grunt work. The
counterpart is mostly learning and understanding the framework, which
means you may not save that much time on a first project - but it can
really pay off then. One of my coworker started this morning a (really
simple...) project which acceptance tests are to begin on monday, and we
are all quite confident he'll deliver on time, thanks to Django.