Upgrade 2.6 to 3.0

Wed Feb 4 15:43:02 EST 2009

joviyach wrote:
> I am fairly new to Python, the first version I loaded was 2.6. I have
> since downloaded 3.0 and I was wondering what the best practice for
> upgrading is? I am using Windows XP Pro for my OS.

On Windows, X.Y.* all go in one directory (over-riding each other)
So the whole 2.6.* family should work just fine alongside the 3.0.*
family.  In just a bit, 3.0.1 is coming soon, correcting some problems
in 3.0, so if you do install 3.0, check in a few weeks for an update.
The 2 -> 3 change was pretty substantial, so it will be a bit until the
3.0 line gets lots of outside packages.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org