Added-value of frameworks?

J Kenneth King james at agentultra.com
Wed Feb 4 13:36:12 EST 2009

Matimus <mccredie at gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 4, 8:08 am, Gilles Ganault <nos... at nospam.com> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> If I wanted to build some social web site such as Facebook, what do
>> frameworks like Django or TurboGears provide over writing a site from
>> scratch using Python?
>>
>> Thank you for your feedback.
>
> Why not just look at the frameworks themselves and see what they have
> to offer. Django and Turbogears both have pretty good tutorials. You
> can be up and running in 20 minutes with each one. You be the judge.
>
> The frameworks provide a lot of boilerplate code that I would rather
> not write. They are probably more secure and scalable than something I
> would come up with. You also get many extras for free. I think in both
> of the frameworks you mention you get an administrative back end for
> free. Other people have created apps/plugins that you can use with
> those frameworks. So, for example, you might be able to borrow the
> code to help you add a forum to your site.
>
> I'm not sure I know the advantage of not using a framework. Unless "I
> get to write more code" is an advantage. Creating your own framework
> might be fun, but if you really just want a website don't do more work
> than you need to.
>
> Matt

In other words, it boils down to what you get paid to do.

If you're being paid for a frob (the product, in this case a website)
then you use a frob-maker (a framework).

If you're being paid to make frobs, then you make the frob-maker.

Most frob-makers are good at producing frobs of a certain kind. Just
choose the frob-maker that makes the frobs you need.

In rare circumstances you'll need a really customized frob. Call on me
when you get there. ;)