Python package Management GUI - New Project on Sourceforge

Dave Peterson dmp1991 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 14:24:38 EST 2009

On Feb 1, 10:57 pm, David Lyon <david.l... at preisshare.net> wrote:
> > What's wrong with Enstaller from Enthought ?
>
> for a start....
>
> onhttps://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/Enstaller
>
> it claims to be depracated...

Hello,

Actually it was version 2.x and earlier that was deprecated and we
just hadn't updated that wiki page in a long time.  Thanks for
pointing that out!  I've now updated it with a bit of news at the
top.  In short Enstaller 3.x is alive and well and available from
PyPi.

We had the downtime for exactly the reason pointed out on this thread
-- which is that we found the old code to be extremely unstable as
users updated any of the dependencies on which Enstaller depended --
things such as wxPython, Traits, etc.

As of now, Enstaller 3.x is a command-line only tool but it does
provide a lot of benefits over standard setuptools -- uninstall,
update/upgrade command, found eggs aren't pre-pended to the full
sys.path but instead inserted before the containing directory, etc.
Our vision for re-implementing the GUI is to provide it via a web-
based frontend as (a) the basic libraries for that ARE included in the
standard lib and (b) we figure more people have a working web browser
than have the Python bindings to any one of various widget libraries
installed.

We'd welcome others to the project if anyone would like to help out!
Just contact us at info at enthought.com for procedures on getting repo
privileges.