database wrapper ?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 13:40:01 EST 2009

Chris Rebert wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Stef Mientki <stef.mientki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> Until now I used a simple wrapper around pysqlite and pyodbc to manage my
>> databases.
>> Now I'm looking for a better solution,
>> because I've to support a (for this moment) unknown database,
>> and I'm not the one who will choose the database.
>>
>> Googling, I found SQLalchemy,
>> which looks quit good.
>>
>> But as I only want to choose once,
>> I googled for  "SQLalchemy alternatives",
>> but it didn't find many answers.
>> (Storm / Grok are of no interest, because manipulating the structure of the
>> database is a key issue).
>>
>> Is SQLalchemy the best / most popular database wrapper ?
>> Are there any alternatives ?
>>

> SQLObject is also probably worth looking at -- http://www.sqlobject.org/
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

I took a brief look at the alternatives,
but I guess it's difficult to judge, without trying them all,
most information is quit fragmented.

For now, I've the "feeling" the following arguments are valid:
(If I'm telling something completely wrong, someone will correct me ;-)

positive for SQLAlchemy
- SQLObject is obsolete.  Turbo Gears has replaced SQLObject with
SQLAlchemy.
- SQLAlchemy is better / faster supported than SQLObject.
- SQLAlchemy is faster

positive for SQLObject
- supports Sybase (which is also obsolete, but still used in my environment)

equal for both
- SQLObject is much easier, but if you put Elixer on top of SQLAlchemy,
you've about the same easy interface.

As we've planned to replace Sybase in the not too far future, the choice
for me seems clear.

thanks you al,
cheers,
Stef