what IDE is the best to write python?

Robert Comstock RLComstock3 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 09:06:02 EST 2009

I am personally a fan of vim and ipython.  But most of my development
is done on a remote system with ssh access.  I have used many IDE's
over the years and personally I feel like they try to hard to do
everything for you that they end up doing very little the way I would
like.  There are MANY text editors out there and all you need to do is
find the one that fits your development style.  There are not so many
IDE's and I found they wanted me to fit their styles.

Why I like Vim:

1. Light and fast
2. Goes over ssh very well
3. Simple configuration
4. Lots of flexibility
5. Can your text editor do this?
Vim search and replace, with increment
:let i=1 | g/foo/s//\=i."morestuff"/ | let i=i+1
http://gdwarner.blogspot.com
6. Fast editing (once you have paid the price to learn it)

I think the reality is productity, I would not be productive trying to
write code on my computer then moving it to a server, it would be
difficult to duplicate the enviroment without leaving my PC a garbage
dump of packages I don't need.  But that is not the case for many
people.  I also like Kate, it has server me well in my quest to learn
vim.

Thanks,

Robert Comstock

Lenovo T61 2.2Ghz/3GB Ram, Arch Linux x86_64, KDE 4.2