Python package Management GUI - New Project on Sourceforge

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Mon Feb 2 00:24:06 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:
>> To be truly cross platform, consider
>> using the Tcl/Tk toolkit rather tahn
>> wxWindows. Why ? Because Tcl/TK
>> is packaged and provided along with
>> most Python distributions.
>
> I agree with your point..
>
> The problem is that Tcl/TK is a functionaly
> handicapped and results in a less powerful GUI.
>
> In an installer, it is not so hard to install
> the wxWidgets dll (under windows)
>
> But later, I won't mind redoing it in tk if
> it becomes too much of a hassle.

David, I would really recommend that you
seriously consider using the Tcp/Tk toolkit.
Why ? Because of my point above, you'll
find the tool will most likely have a greater
impact and uptake than one requiring a user
or developer to install a 3rd party toolkit
and library just to use your gui package
manager :)

Trust me when I say this, the simpler you
make this, the better. "Powerful" is meaningless
in the context of programming - it has no
meaning. If you meant wxWindows/wxWidgets
are more feature-rich, then yes I agree - but
at what cost ? :)

My 2c,

cheers
James