is python Object oriented??

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Feb 1 12:31:27 EST 2009

Stephen Hansen wrote:
> [...]
> don't play with anyone else's
> privates.

A good rule in life as well as programming.

> The *idea* of encapsulation is good in many cases, it is quite often a
> solid design point and admirable goal. The *implementation* of enforced
> data encapsulation brings no value to any realistic situation.

I think it's noticeable that the people who have been arguing against
what I might tipify as this "libertarian view" are those for whom the
consequences of programming error are serious to extreme.

I think we might have to accept that they are never going to be
comfortable with Python as it's currently constituted, whether or not we
suggest that discipline might replace enforcement.

Just the same, it still doesn't save them from the consequences of
interface miscommunication, as int he case of the Mars lander that
crashed because one module provided a (probably strongly-typed) value in
meters, and the recipient interpreted it as (probably strongly-typed)
feet, cutting the engine out too early.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119