Using xreadlines

Brett Hedges lilhedges69 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 19:32:40 EST 2009

Hi,

I am using both xreadlines and files iterators for a script that I need to finish. I am iterating over the entire file but stopping to use xreadlines to grab certain lines as strings to process them.

My question is how do I go to a previous line in the file? xreadlines has a file.next() statement that gives the next line, and I need a statement that gives me the previous line.

My script has a loop that looks for a certain word then breaks the loop. But I need to go to the previous line before I break since the script uses that line (which gets processed). I'm sure there is an easier way to do this but since I am new to python and have spent a lot of time on this script I can't really go back and change a lot of things unless there is no possible way. Something like the example below.

f.open("text.txt",'r')
files = f.xreadlines()
Name = "Section 1"

for line in f: