Python C-API Object Allocation

William Newbery wnewbery at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 10:01:16 EST 2009

Ive been learning the C-API lately so I can write python extensions for some of my c++ stuff.

I want to use the new and delete operators for creating and destroying my objects.

The problem is python seems to break it into several stages. tp_new, tp_init and tp_alloc for creation and tp_del, tp_free and tp_dealloc for destruction. However c++ just has new which allocates and fully constructs the object and delete which destructs and deallocates the object.

Which of the python tp_* methods do I need to provide and what must they do to be compatible with python subclassing.

Also I want to be able to create the object directly in c++ eg "PyObject *obj = new MyExtensionObject(args);"