reading binary data from a 32 bit machine on 64 bit machine

harijay harijay at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 13:51:39 EST 2009

Hi I am very confused with the use of the struct module to read binary
data from a file.
( I have only worked with ascii files so far)

I have a file spec for a Data-logger (http://www.dataq.com/support/
techinfo/ff.htm)

I am collecting some voltage , time traces on one channel and they are
written to the binary file on a 32 bit windows machine

The file spec says that the number of header bytes in the data file
header is stored as a 16 bit  eye "I" at bits 6-7

Now I want to get at that number. When I try format !h I get a
meaningful number
If f is my file handle opened with "rb" mode

>>> f.seek(5)
>>> (Integer,) = struct.unpack('!h',f.read(2))
>>> (Integer,)
(9348,)

I am assuming that means that there are 9348 header bytes . Can
someone look at the format spec and tell me if I am on the right
track.

Also if a binary guru can point me in the direction of a single line
format pythonic way to get at the header that will be great

Thanks a tonne
hari