Python/environment problem with char encoding/decoding

Gabriel Rossetti gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com
Wed Feb 18 08:43:51 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

I originally posted this on the Twisted mailing list, but now it seams
to be  a more general python/environment problem. If I run the attached
example in Eclipse, it works, if I run it from a terminal, it doesn't, I
get :

$ python xml_parser_test.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "xml_parser_test.py", line 30, in <module>
    res = rawXmlToElement("<t>reçu</t>")
  File "xml_parser_test.py", line 21, in __call__
    tmp.addRawXml(s)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/words/xish/domish.py",
line 538, in addRawXml
    self.children.append(SerializedXML(rawxmlstring))
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 5:
ordinal not in range(128)

Does anyone understand why it doesn't work outside of Eclipse? My OS is
Linux (Ubuntu 8.04).

Thank you,
Gabriel