What are your favorite Python features?

Tony Arcieri tony at medioh.com
Mon Feb 16 20:10:58 EST 2009

I'm creating a new language which borrows from Python (among other
languages), and I'm curious what features of Python its users enjoy the
most.

I posted a similar thread on ruby-talk with a poll, but unfortunately my
background in Python is much weaker than it is in Ruby.  That said, here are
some of the features of Python that I'm considering adding to my language
(or are already there):

- list comprehensions
- lambdas
- keyword arguments
- built-in help
- decorators
- docstrings
- obtaining references to methods with var.method
- UCS4 internal string representation

What are *your* favorite features of Python?  I'm particularly interested in
ones not included in this list.  I'm not looking for "Python exclusive"
features so much as features you use frequently which make your life easier
which aren't particularly common among the more popular languages.

P.S. If you're curious about my language you can read about it here:
http://wiki.reia-lang.org and see some working examples of the syntax (which
borrows heavily from Python) here:
http://github.com/tarcieri/reia/tree/master/examples

--