Threads in PyGTK: keep typing while ping-ing

Mamahita Sela mamahitasela at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 08:47:22 EST 2009

Dear All,

I have read several howtos for threading in PyGTK. I have tried some but with no luck.

What i want is: i can keep typing in gtk.TextView while periodically doing ping some hosts.

I think, the thread part is working since i can ping so fast (even for not reply host, around 3 s for 27 no-reply-host). But, when the ping action is running, i can not typing in textview. What i type while pinging will show up after ping action is done.

(I am using 2.5.1, pygtk 2.10.6 on Linux x86)

This is my code:
import threading
import commands
import gtk
import gobject

gtk.gdk.threads_init()

class PingHost(threading.Thread):
    def __init__(self, host):
        threading.Thread.__init__(self)
        self.host = host
        self.result = ()
    def run(self):
        self.result = self.host, commands.getstatusoutput('ping %s -c1' %(self.host))[0]

class Main:
    def __init__(self):
        self.win = gtk.Window()
        self.win.connect('destroy', gtk.main_quit)
        #
        self.textb = gtk.TextBuffer()
        self.textv = gtk.TextView(self.textb)
        self.textv.set_size_request(500, 500)