embedding Python in a shared library

Deepak Chandran dchandran1 at tinkercell.com
Tue Feb 10 18:21:57 EST 2009

I have embedded Python in a shared library. This works fine in Windows
(dll), but I get the following error is Ubuntu when I try to load modules:

/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/*time.so*: error: symbol lookup error: *
undefined* symbol: PyExc_ValueError

I found many postings on this issue on the internet, but I was not able to
find a solution that worked. I tried to load libpython2.5.so.1 into my
program using dlopen, but that crashed the program for some reason. I tried
building my library using the libpython2.5.a, but the same error was there.

I am sure someone has a solution to this, since it seems like a general
issue.