Beginner Python OpenGL difficulties

David Nuttall dave.nuttall at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 10:52:53 EST 2009

Hi Mike,

            I am just getting into OPENGL from Python. But I am having
problems. Each time I try to run some OPENGL code I get the following sort
of error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Work\Python
Modules\PyOpenGL-Demo-3.0.0b6\PyOpenGL-Demo\NeHe\lesson1.py", line 142, in
<module>

    main()

  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Work\Python
Modules\PyOpenGL-Demo-3.0.0b6\PyOpenGL-Demo\NeHe\lesson1.py", line 97, in
main

    glutInit(sys.argv)

  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\OpenGL\GLUT\special.py", line 316, in
glutInit

    _base_glutInit( ctypes.byref(count), holder )

  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\OpenGL\GLUT\special.py", line 57, in
_base_glutInit

    return __glutInitWithExit(pargc, argv, _exitfunc)

  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\OpenGL\platform\baseplatform.py", line
280, in __call__

    self.__name__, self.__name__,

NullFunctionError: Attempt to call an undefined function __glutInitWithExit,
check for bool(__glutInitWithExit) before calling

I can only think that the installation might be wrong. I have an AMD machine
running Win32 - XP.

Hope you can help me?

Best regards

Dave