x64 speed

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Feb 3 12:36:05 EST 2009

Whilst doing some portability testing with reportlab I noticed a strange speedup
for our unittest suite with python2.5

host  win32 xp3 unittest time=42.2 seconds
vmware RHEL x64 unittest time=30.9 seconds

so it looks like the vmware emulated system is much faster. Is it the x64
working faster at its design sizes or perhaps the compiler or could it be the
vmware system caching all writes etc etc? For the red hat x64 build the only
special configuration was to use ucs2

I know that the VT bit stuff has made virtualization much better, but this seems
a bit weird.
--
Robin Becker