Cross platform compilation?

John Harper john at john-a-harper.com
Mon Feb 2 21:59:29 EST 2009

I am trying to build Python to use in an embedded system which uses a
ppc_440 CPU. The only information I've found is something written by
Klaus Reimer a few years ago, which was based on Python 2.2. So far I
seem to have successfully built Python itself, but building the
extensions fails miserably with complaints about library format. It
insists on referring to "i686" which is indeed the platform it is
actually running on.

Before I try to reverse engineer completely setup.py, is there
something obvious that needs to be done to get it to use the right tool
chain?

More generally, it seems like this would be something that lots of
people would want to do. I'm surprised there isn't support for it built
into the distributed version of Python, without having to hack all the
setup files...?

Thanks,

John