Reading text file with wierd file extension?

Lionel lionel.keene at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 13:36:31 EST 2009

Hi Folks, Python newbie here.

I'm trying to open (for reading) a text file with the following
filenaming convension:

"MyTextFile.slc.rsc"

My code is as follows:

Filepath = "C:\\MyTextFile.slc.rsc"
FileH = open(Filepath)

The above throws an IOError exception. On a hunch I changed the
filename (only the filename) and tried again:

Filepath = "C:\\MyTextFile.txt"
FileH = open(Filepath)

The above works well. I am able to open the file and read it's
contents. I assume to read a file in text file "mode" the parameter is
scanned for a ".txt" extension, otherwise the Python runtime doesn't
know what version of "open(...)" to invoke. How do I pass the original
filename (MyTextFile.slc.rsc) and get Python to open it as a text
file? Thanks in advance everyone!