database wrapper ?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 17:56:28 EST 2009

hello,

Until now I used a simple wrapper around pysqlite and pyodbc to manage
my databases.
Now I'm looking for a better solution,
because I've to support a (for this moment) unknown database,
and I'm not the one who will choose the database.

Googling, I found SQLalchemy,
which looks quit good.

But as I only want to choose once,
I googled for  "SQLalchemy alternatives",
but it didn't find many answers.
(Storm / Grok are of no interest, because manipulating the structure of
the database is a key issue).

Is SQLalchemy the best / most popular database wrapper ?
Are there any alternatives ?

I don't know if it matters:
but for the short term it's only for desktop applications,
but in the future I'll certainly want to move to web based databases.

thanks,
Stef