Problems installing PySQLite, SQLite and Trac

kimwlias kimwlias at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 10:48:50 EST 2009

My initial goal is to finally install Trac. This is the second day
I've been trying to make this possible but I can't find, for the life
of me, how to do this. OK, here is the story:

My system is a VPS with CentOS 5.

I found out that I have two versions of python: 2.4 at /usr/bin/
python2.4 and 2.5.2 at /usr/local/apps/python/bin/python2.5

My first try was to download the SQLite amalgamation, './configure',
'make' and 'make install'. Then I downloaded the PySQLite and 'python
setup.py install'. The funny part is that python2.4 has sqlite while
python2.5 doesn't:

    [root at xxx]# python
    Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, May 10 2008, 17:42:40)
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
information.
    >>> import sqlite
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "", line 1, in
    ImportError: No module named sqlite

    [root at xxx]# python2.4
    Python 2.4.3 (#1, Mar 14 2007, 18:51:08)
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
information.
    >>> import sqlite

After some more research I found out that the amalgamation is not the
default way and I needed to run the extended_setup.py which isn't
inside the pysqlite! -> http://oss.itsystementwicklung.de/trac/pysqlite/wiki/PysqliteAmalgamation

I then thought, "OK, let's install the SQLite from the precompiled
binary packages". So I downloaded the first two packages from here:
http://www.sqlite.org/download.html . The one contains a .bin file and
the other an .so file. I must admit, I'm relatively new in Linux so I
don't know what do with these files. And there is NO DOCUMENTATION
what so ever on how to use these two in the SQLite website. Not even a
slight hint where to look for. The so called documentation is just a
download version of the website....

You can find some more information about my problem here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/500055/issues-installing-sqlite-pysqlite-trac-in-centos

I really really really need your help. Thank you so much in advance.