whoops: create a splash window in python

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 14:43:05 EST 2009

On Dec 30, 11:31 pm, Ron Croonenberg <r... at depauw.edu> wrote:
> sorry about posting with the wrong subject...
>
> *****
> hello,
>
> is there a way, in python, to create a splash window and when the
> program has completed disappears by sending a msg to it? (I tried
> creating two gtk windows but gtk_main doesn't seem to return unless it
> gets closed.)
>
> tia
>
> Ron
> *****

wxPython has a splash page "widget" for this sort of thing. Of course,
if all you want to do is display a message to the user for a short
time, any GUI library will allow you to create a window of some sort
that you can use for that purpose. Note that GUI's tend to run in a
loop that may block your calling program, so you may need to mess with
threads, in which case each GUI has their own thread-safe methods.

It's less complicated then it sounds. I tend to use wxPython the most,
so if you have specific questions about that, let me know. Good luck!

Mike Driscoll

Blog:   http://blog.pythonlibrary.org

PyCon 2010 Atlanta Feb 19-21      http://us.pycon.org/