multivariable assignment

Andreas Waldenburger usenot at geekmail.INVALID
Thu Dec 31 11:32:04 EST 2009

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:13:35 -0800 (PST) davidj411
<davidj411 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure why this behavior is this way.
> at beginning of script, i want to create a bunch of empty lists and
> use each one for its own purpose.
> however, updating one list seems to update the others.

No, you're only creating one list (and giving that one list three
names). Creating three lists would be:

a = []
b = []
c = []

or, alternatively

Just remember: Python "variables" are just names that point to the
actual data. "x = y" just means "make 'x' a synonym for 'y'".

/W

--
INVALID? DE!