Python 2.6 ftplib has timeout parameter, but how to detect a timeout

MrJean1 mrjean1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 12:52:28 EST 2009

Brendan,

The timeout argument of the FTP class (and the connect method) is used
only to establish the connection to FTP sockets.  If the timeout
expires, an error called socket.timeout is raised.

AFAIK, the timeout argument does not limit FTP transfers.  To impose a
time limit on FTP transfers, try using the timelimited function from
this recipe:

 <http://code.activestate.com/recipes/576780/>

/Jean