Cookies

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Dec 30 11:19:45 EST 2009

Carsten Haese wrote:
> Victor Subervi wrote:
[...]
> Pardon me for not being able to read your mind. The code you're now
> posting is significantly more code than your first post included. The
> line that I had determined to be missing is in fact not missing, you
> just didn't bother to post your actual code.
>
> Now that you've posted your actual code, I can see that the actual
> problem is that the line is in the wrong place.
>
> The line in question is <<print cookie>>, and it's responsible for
> printing a "Set-Cookie" *HEADER*, which is a fact that at least one of
> the tutorials you pointed out has mentioned. You're printing it where it
> doesn't belong, in the middle of your HTML output. You need to
> reorganize your print statements such that the Set-Cookie header is
> printed in the header of your script's output.

I will point out again, without the least expectation that it will do
any good, that the reason this problem has occurred is that Victor
simply refuses to take the time to absorb the principles of what he is
attempting before attempting it.

This is what I call "programming with a trowel" - take a chunk of code
from here and a chunk from there, splash a little bit of cement logic
around to glue everything together, and hope it works. The advanced part
of the strategy here is to then throw the resulting mess at an
accommodating newsgroup in the hope that the readers will turn it into
working code.

It's as though he had taken the front half of a motor cycle and the back
half of a saloon car, welded them together without bothering to make any
electrical or fuel line connections, and then complaining that "the
vehicle doesn't work". Of course it doesn't, because there is no
underlying understanding of the principles involved.

The interesting thing is that the web site is apparently being put
together to sell something. I have no idea what that something might be,
but I am as sure as I can be that I don't want to buy it, just from the
insight I have gained into the vendor's thought processes from the
various threads I have recently been involved in.

regards
 Steve
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/